Ways and Means
The Ways and Means Committee is committed to raising funds for necessary Congregational purposes that do not include membership dues, building fund fees or other assessments. Here at Temple Shalom we believe that we can best achieve this goal by sponsoring events, activities and community programs that are relevant to our temple members and community neighbors.
Our committee reaches out to volunteer members of our congregation who have a passion for a particular area (like music events, comedy nights, or movies) or who have expertise in event planning or nonprofit fundraising and asks them to “help us make this fundraiser a real success”.
The Education Committee and our Religious School Director, David Gronlund-Jacob, supported by Rabbi Malinger and the Educational team, are enhancing our vibrant Religious and Hebrew education for our children. From the special Family Education programs to coordinating class parents to helping with administrative work and so much more, the Education Committee helps ensure a strong Jewish identity for our youth.
We encourage parents to be involved in this very important committee.
The Social Action Committee leads Temple Shalom’s commitment to “pursuing justice and working together to create a better world” as it is central to who we are as individuals and as a community (Union for Reform Judaism).
This includes helping the disadvantaged, feeding the hungry, and raising our communal voices against social or economic injustice, wherever they occur.
Many of our activities have made a significant difference in the lives of families in our community. Our recent projects have included:
- High Holiday Food Drive that helps to restock three local food pantries
- Our Garden of Hope (Gan Tikvah), maintained together with Temple Beth Ahm, which provides fresh vegetables to the pantry of a local church
- Collection of funds (Tzedakah) to donate where help is needed
- Mitzvah Day, scheduled in mid-to-late spring
- Efforts to help the environment such as plastic recycling and beach cleanup
- Martin Luther King joint services with the New Light Baptist Church
We encourage all temple members to join in our work, or simply reach out and share ideas and passions with us. We meet on the second Thursday of each month.