The Women of Temple Shalom invite you to join with us! The Women of Temple Shalom is part of the global connection of the Women of Reform Judaism (WRJ). Our deeds are a collaborative effort of dedicated individuals within the Temple Shalom community, providing financial, spiritual, educational, and emotional resources. Our guiding principle is to be cognizant of women’s issues and perspectives; to build bridges within the temple, the surrounding community, Israel, and all Jews; and to always be mindful that Torah is our guide.
Our annual activities support the community. We donate:
- Backpacks and healthy snacks to Backpack Buddies
- School supplies to needy school children
- Hundreds of dollars to the Cancer Society through our annual participation in the Making Strides Walk
- Break fast food for Yom Kippur Ne’ilah
- Apples for Sukkot
- Torah scrolls and flags for Simchat Torah
- Gelt and dreidels to our religious school students for Chanukah
We sponsor Shabbat celebrations for the ELC.
We gift Bibles for the B’nai Mitzvah students.
We offer kippot, tallitot, and gifts, much of which are Fair Trade, through our Judaica shop.
We sponsor a Miracle of Oil Drive for Chanukah. Last year, more than 15 gallons of ‘liquid gold’ were delivered to the local food bank.
We bake hamentashen for Purim.
- In the past, we have sent over $450 in shalach manot platters to local senior centers.
- We give snack bags of hamentashen to our students.
We lead a food drive at the Purim Shpiel: Pasta for Purim. Boxes of mac and cheese are used as groggers and then donated to Backpack Buddies.
We also support our connection to Judaism:
- Chavurah – a group of Jewish women who assemble for the purpose of discussion and learning.
- Rosh Chodesh – a group of Jewish women who meet at the “Head” of the “Month” celebrating the beginning of a new month with Jewish-themed discussion and discourse for women.
- Book Club – Every other month we come together to discuss the book, its Jewish connection and our individual interpretations.
- Sunshine Club – we support all of our members through the good and the troubled times in our lives.
- Gathering – we meet through out the year and share meals, speakers and celebrations that help support all of the above.
If any of our work speaks to you, come get involved with the Women of Temple Shalom. Contribute to these important efforts, and strengthen your temple, community and world. Without you, we’re one woman short.