Temple Shalom FAQs

Does the Rabbi officiate at interfaith marriages?  Yes

At non-member marriages?  Yes  In either case, you need to contact Rabbi Malinger through the Temple office 732-566-2621.

How do we have a baby naming? Contact Rabbi Malinger to schedule a baby naming.  There is no fee for Temple members.

What time are services?  Shabbat services are at 7:45pm  with the exception of the 1st Friday night of the month when we celebrate Kabbalat Shabbat at 6:30pm followed by a community Shabbat dinner.   Shabbat morning service is held at 10:30am  except during the summer when the service is at 9:15am in our courtyard, weather permitting.  There could be variations in the usual schedule so please check the Calendar page of the website.

Do you have to be a member to attend services?  No.  All Shabbat and festival services are open to the community.  We welcome your participation.

Do you send out Tree Certificates?  Yes. You can arrange to have a tree certificate sent – or any other donation card – by clicking the donation button on this website.

Do you rent out the social hall? Yes, we have a beautiful social hall available to members and non-members for private parties.  Contact Stephanie in the Temple office.

Do you take donations of clothing, furniture, etc? Because of lack of storage space, we cannot accept clothing, furniture, etc. However, we do have an ongoing collection of nonperishable food items for the local food bank.  In addition, during certain winter weeks we collect coats and once a year we hold a large rummage sale. We can try to refer any other donations to an appropriate local charity.

Do you have a Temple bulletin?  Yes. Can I advertise in it?  Yes, we are happy to accept paid business advertisements.  Call Jennifer in the Temple office for details.

Are you an ‘inclusive’ congregation?  Yes, we welcome non-Jewish family members, LGBTQ, and all family structures.

How do I dispose of old ritual objects like kippot, prayer books, tallism?   Sacred books (that which contains the name of God) and religious items (prayer shawls, kippot and tefillin) are buried if they cannot be repaired and are completely unserviceable. This is done normally once a year in a plot opened for such a purpose at a local Jewish Cemetery or with a family’s permission, will be interred in a casket upon someone’s burial. Please speak with Rabbi Malinger and he will guide you about the proper disposal of these items..

Do you offer conversion classes?   The Introduction to Judaism class is offered throughout New Jersey each year.  In addition, you may have the opportunity to study with the rabbi privately based on your schedules.  In either case, any prospective candidates for conversion need to meet with Rabbi Malinger to plan a course of study.

Do you offer opportunities to learn about Judaism? Temple Shalom of Aberdeen offers many opportunities for study throughout the year – several programs are open to the general community and some are limited to Temple members.  All of these learning opportunities teach aspects of Jewish understandings.  The Introduction to Judaism course is open to anyone wishing to learn more about Judaism.  If you need further information, please speak with Rabbi Malinger.